The chapel in Hattuvaara, Ilomantsi, is the only Karelian tsasovnja in the Finnish side of the border. The chapel was built in the turn of the 19th century. The log chapel was renovated in 1980. At the time, it was refurbished as suitable for year-round use.
The Church of Saint Elijah in Ilomantsi was finished in 1891. The current village has had an orthodox temple as early as late 15th century. Beautiful both inside and outside, the building is the largest wooden orthodox church in Finland.
The jewel-like Church of Saint Hannah is in Sonkajanranta, Tuupovaara. The small church was built in 1915. The atmosphere in the Church of Saint Hannah is unique. Karelian red and black are present in the interior, and the entire building has a graceful look.
Finished in 1887, the church is the fifth oldest building in Joensuu. The temple is considered as a prime example of 19th century timber architecture. It is one of the most valuable orthodox churches in Finland.
The chapel is in the Sotkuma village, Polvijärvi municipality. The chapel was finished in 1914, but wasn't inaugurated until in 1916. The rectangular log building is modest in its architecture.
Built in 1914, the church is located in Polvijärvi. The funds for building the church were received from Czar Nicholas II, Grand Duke of Finland. The church bells and many sacral items were also donated by the Czar and manufactured in St. Petersburg.
Finished in 1906, the main church of Taipale orthodox parish is in Viinijärvi. The earlier church on the site, built in the 18th century, was the first church to start conducting church services regularly in Finnish language in 1858.
The chapel was built in 1986 to resemble another chapel on the Mantsinsaari island. The chapel is next to the monastery quay. Those travelling on the lake can ask for protection from Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of travellers, and light up a candle in the chapel.
The chapel, "tsasovnja", stands on the monastery graveyard. It was finished in 1981 to serve as a space for burial and memorial services. In summertime, the chapel is a popular place for quiet retreat.
Attached to the Main Church, there is another church dedicated to the founders of the monastery, so called winter church. Services are conducted in the church only during quiet winter months. Nearly all its icons have been painted specifically for this small church.
The main church of the Valamo Monastery was inaugurated in 1977, when Valamo celebrated its 800th anniversary. The stone church is a typical example of traditional northern Russian church architecture.
The oldest church in the monastery was made of two sheds put together in 1940, to make up a temporary church for the brotherhood. The church is a reminder of Christians not having a permanent lodging on Earth and how they always are strangers in the world.
The New Valamo Monastery in Heinävesi has five houses of God, or churches, on its grounds.
The welcoming church was built in 1973. Under its roof, the church houses a Jerusalem Mother of God icon, salvaged from the old Lintula, and a large Mother of God of the Sign icon by Petros Sasaki.
The convent was originally founded in 1895 on the isthmus of Karelia, in Kivennapa. It was evacuated during the Winter War of World War II. The convent reached its final location in 1946 in Palokki, Heinävesi.
Orthodox religion arkistot - Via Karelia

Orthodox religion

The chapel in Hattuvaara, Ilomantsi, is the only Karelian tsasovnja in the Finnish side of the border. The chapel was built in the turn of the 19th century. The log chapel was renovated in 1980. At the time, it was refurbished as suitable for year-round use.
The Church of Saint Elijah in Ilomantsi was finished in 1891. The current village has had an orthodox temple as early as late 15th century. Beautiful both inside and outside, the building is the largest wooden orthodox church in Finland.
The jewel-like Church of Saint Hannah is in Sonkajanranta, Tuupovaara. The small church was built in 1915. The atmosphere in the Church of Saint Hannah is unique. Karelian red and black are present in the interior, and the entire building has a graceful look.
Finished in 1887, the church is the fifth oldest building in Joensuu. The temple is considered as a prime example of 19th century timber architecture. It is one of the most valuable orthodox churches in Finland.
The chapel is in the Sotkuma village, Polvijärvi municipality. The chapel was finished in 1914, but wasn't inaugurated until in 1916. The rectangular log building is modest in its architecture.
Built in 1914, the church is located in Polvijärvi. The funds for building the church were received from Czar Nicholas II, Grand Duke of Finland. The church bells and many sacral items were also donated by the Czar and manufactured in St. Petersburg.
Finished in 1906, the main church of Taipale orthodox parish is in Viinijärvi. The earlier church on the site, built in the 18th century, was the first church to start conducting church services regularly in Finnish language in 1858.
The chapel was built in 1986 to resemble another chapel on the Mantsinsaari island. The chapel is next to the monastery quay. Those travelling on the lake can ask for protection from Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of travellers, and light up a candle in the chapel.
The chapel, "tsasovnja", stands on the monastery graveyard. It was finished in 1981 to serve as a space for burial and memorial services. In summertime, the chapel is a popular place for quiet retreat.
Attached to the Main Church, there is another church dedicated to the founders of the monastery, so called winter church. Services are conducted in the church only during quiet winter months. Nearly all its icons have been painted specifically for this small church.
The main church of the Valamo Monastery was inaugurated in 1977, when Valamo celebrated its 800th anniversary. The stone church is a typical example of traditional northern Russian church architecture.
The oldest church in the monastery was made of two sheds put together in 1940, to make up a temporary church for the brotherhood. The church is a reminder of Christians not having a permanent lodging on Earth and how they always are strangers in the world.
The New Valamo Monastery in Heinävesi has five houses of God, or churches, on its grounds.
The welcoming church was built in 1973. Under its roof, the church houses a Jerusalem Mother of God icon, salvaged from the old Lintula, and a large Mother of God of the Sign icon by Petros Sasaki.
The convent was originally founded in 1895 on the isthmus of Karelia, in Kivennapa. It was evacuated during the Winter War of World War II. The convent reached its final location in 1946 in Palokki, Heinävesi.